Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
According to the World Health Organization, Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly found coronavirus. The best way to prevent transmission is to be well informed about the COVID-19 virus, how it spreads and the symptoms it causes.
Most people infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience mild to moderate symptoms of respiratory illness and recover without requiring special treatment. Others may develop more serious forms of the illness and require further treatment. People at risk of developing more serious symptoms include, older people (+ 70 years), certain ethnic groups (BAME) and those with underlying medical problems such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer.
Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
The incubation period varies widely- 2-14 days represents the current official estimated range for the novel coronavirus COVID-19. However, research has suggested that in one case there was an incubation period of 27 days - See: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-incubation-period/
A person that presents with the following symptoms may have the Covid-19 virus:
•A high temperature (37.8 C or higher)
•A new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
•A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
This list is not exclusive.
During your appointment:
· A social distance will be maintained for as much of the time as is feasibly possible, but your physiotherapist will be wearing PPE in accordance with Public Health England (PHE) guidance at all times.
· Windows within the rooms will be open at all times to enable maximum ventilation.
· The treatment table will be covered in bed roll prior to use.
Following your appointment:
· On completion of your session, the clinical area will be cleaned thoroughly in accordance with PHE Infection Control Guidance. The clinician will clean all hard surfaces between patients including the bed, desk, chair, door handles and any further areas which the patient has come into contact with.
· The clinician will then remove all appropriate PPE before leaving the clinical area.
· The practitioner will then wash their hands for at least 30 secs and then apply alcohol gel of 60 % or above to clean hands and forearms.
· We would request that patients consider wearing a mask for the duration of your time with us.
· We would ask that you do not bring anyone with you to the appointment
Under no circumstances will a clinician attend GW Physiotherapy if they have shown any signs/symptoms of COVID-19 in the previous 14-days.